From the interviews we conducted we selected those insights that we believe can help funders to better understand digital infrastructure projects, especially those that are less visible. For clarity, we classified these insights according to four overarching topics.
- all community fundingtrust-runs-deep
Trust runs deep.
- all community fundingaccepting-funding-can-be-a-risk
Accepting funding can be a risk.
- all funding communityfunders-and-infrastructure-projects-communicate-differently
Funders and infrastructure projects communicate differently.
- all communitythe-understanding-of-and-appreciation-for-diversity-varies-widely-across-projects
The understanding of and appreciation for diversity varies widely across projects
- all community fundinga-lot-of-non-coding-work-is-done-by-people-who-would-rather-just-be-coding
A lot of non-coding work is done by people who would rather just be coding.
- all funding communitya-variety-of-factors-prevent-infrastructure-projects-from-applying-for-funding
A variety of factors prevent infrastructure projects from applying for funding.
- all technology fundingeffective-funding-means-understanding-unusual-needs
Effective funding means understanding unusual needs.
- all technology community fundingadoption-is-a-double-edged-sword
Adoption is a double-edged sword.
- all portrait communityprojects-lack-structure-because-of-the-values-of-project-contributors
Projects lack structure because of the values of project contributors.
- all portrait communitythere-is-a-uniform-path-into-open-digital-infrastructure-projects
There is a uniform path into open digital infrastructure projects.